(serve as a dip for fresh strawberries)
1 ½ Cup Sugar
¼ lb of unsalted butter at room temperature
4 large eggs at room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
2 drops of green food coloring
- Remove the zest of 4 limes with a vegetable peeler or a zester, being careful to avoid the white pilth.
- Squeeze the limes to make ½ cup of juice and set aside.
- Put the zest and sugar in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, and process for 2-3 minutes until the zest is finely minced.
- In a separate bowl (or electric mixer), cream the butter, with the sugar and lime zest. Add the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Then add the lime juice and salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- The lime curd will thicken at about 175 degrees F, or just below a simmer.
- Add the 2 drops of food coloring, and remove from heat.
- Let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
10. Serve with fresh strawberries.
Becca’s modified version:
We had some lemons that needed to be used, so rather than using limes; I used lemon zest & juice & a drop of yellow food coloring. It turned out REALLY good.