Makes: One 8-Inch, 2 Layer Cake
Total Time: 45 minutes + Cooling
- 3 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- ¾ Cups Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in the center.
- Spray two 8×2-inche round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine water, oil, vinegar, instant coffee and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk until combined (a few lumps are ok)
- Divide batter between pans
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (35-40 minutes).
- Cool cakes on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert them onto the rack.
- Leave cakes upside down (this flattens domes cakes) to cool completely.
Frost with Glossy Chocolate Icing