Preheat Oven: 350 degrees F
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened.
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ cup self-rising flour
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Whole Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
8 cups confectionary sugar (powdered sugar)
½ cup Whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
TIPS: If you have a stand mixer (like a Bosch, or Kitchen Aid) this recipe is much quicker to make.
Using whole milk makes the taste of the cupcakes and icing much smoother. I tried using Skim milk and whipping cream just to test it out and whole milk makes a much better flavor.
1. Whip butter until very smooth in texture
2. Add sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth in texture
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating very well between each addition
4. In separate bowl, mix the 2 flours together
5. In separate bowl, mix Milk and Vanilla
6. Add flour mixture and milk mixture 1 cup at a time to Butter mixture. Beating very well between each addition.
7. Spoon into lined cupcake pan (approx. ¼ c batter per cupcake)
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes in pre heated over (350 degrees F)
Cool cupcakes before frosting (or else the frosting will fall off)
You can also make 3 – 9” rounds with cupcake batter. Just make sure you grease and flour each pan.
1. Whip butter until smooth
2. Add ½ of sugar (4 cups), 1 cup at a time. Beating well between each addition.
3. Add Milk, and Vanilla
4. Add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beating well between each addition.
5. Add a few drops of food coloring to icing
6. Beat icing well, until good spreading consistency.
7. Over-beating is hard to do with this icing.
Frost the cupcakes and then sprinkle them with sprinkles.