- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt (Preferably Greek or Fage)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 lemon, juiced and zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1-1/2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 mint leaves, chopped fine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- The night before making Tzatziki, place the yogurt in a paper towel lined strainer over another bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. This thicker yogurt-cheese is the perfect consistency for Tzatziki. This step is not necessary if using Greek yogurt.
- Peel and seed the cucumber. Place the cucumbers in a strainer over a bowl and cover with salt. This will leech out a lot of the water and help assure you have a thick sauce.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Process until well-combined.
- Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor, over night is suggested.
- The first 2 steps are very important. If not followed you will make Tzatziki soup, not sauce.