Shrimp & Grits
- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Toss shrimp with flour until lightly coated, shaking to remove excess.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings 4 minutes or just until mushrooms begin to release their liquid. Add shrimp, and sauté 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute (do not brown garlic).
- Add lemon juice and next 3 ingredients; serve immediately over Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked stone-ground white grits
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated
- Bring 2 Tbsp. butter, next 4 ingredients, and 5 cups water to a boil in a medium-size Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese and remaining 2 Tbsp. butter until melted.
- Serve immediately.
Quick-Cooking Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits:
- Substitute 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits for stone-ground grits.
- Decrease water and milk to 4 1/2 cups each.
- Prepare recipe as directed, cooking grits 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened.