Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Panna Cotta
Adapted from “The Craft of Baking,” by Karen DeMasco (Clarkson Potter, 2009)
Time: 20 minutes, plus at least 6 hours’ chilling
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/8 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts, for serving (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk gelatin with 3 tablespoons cold water. Place chopped chocolate in another medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine Nutella and salt.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a boil. Pour half the cream over gelatin mixture and whisk gently to combine; stir in vanilla. Pour remaining cream over chopped chocolate; whisk until smooth. Combine two mixtures; whisk well.
3. Pour one-third of the gelatin-chocolate mixture over Nutella; beat using an electric mixer on low speed until a smooth paste forms. Pour in remaining mixture and milk; beat until fully combined.
4. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into six ramekins. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until set, about six hours or overnight. Serve sprinkled with chopped hazelnuts, if desired.