Recipe from AAUW Assn.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Bananas, Mashed (You may use more if desired)
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Cup Melted Margarine or Butter
- 2 ½ Cups of Flour (not cake flour)
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 – 1 ½ Cups sifted Confectioners’ Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Grated Orange Rind
- 2 Tbsp. Orange Juice or ½ of Juiced Orange
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Juice
- Add Sugar until syrupy
- In one bowl add sugar to bananas, then add eggs and slightly cooled margarine
- In another bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In yet another bowl, stir Baking Soda into buttermilk (it will expand)
- To a 4th bowl, add alternately: Flour mixture, Banana Mixture, Buttermilk Mixture; Ending with Flour.
- Add Vanilla
- Pour into greased and floured Bundt Pan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-45 Minutes (toothpick or fork should come out clean)
- Punch hold in cake immediately out of oven.
- Pour glaze over cake
Notes: This recipe does require a bunch of bowls, something that I personally hate – but the cake is well worth the time spent doing dishes after. My family has stopped making banana bread because this banana cake is so good.
I did bake this in 2 large bread pans and it worked really well. Since it was a little thicker it required more baking time though.