2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 loaf Italian bread (8 to 10 ounces)
4 individual Italian rolls
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed and lightly crushed
1 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies, drained
1/4 cup chunky mild or medium salsa
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
2. Cut bread in half horizontally; scoop out center leaving a 1/2-inch thick shell; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine black beans, green chilies and salsa.
4. Sprinkle about half the cheese over the bottom half of the bread. Spoon about half the mushroom mixture over cheese. Spread bean mixture over mushrooms; top with remaining mushrooms, then remaining cheese.
5. Gently press top of bread over filling; wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Bake until heated through and cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Remove from foil and cut the Italian loaf into quarters; serve with mixed greens and fruit, if desired.
TIP: You may want to add chicken to this. Also, when spooning the mixture onto the bread…. More is better!